Sunday, October 31, 2010

I Hold This World


I hold this world,
in my palm accountable.
As much as I am at fault,
I am still just as human as when I woke up.
Made from this unswerving earth,
I pass the blame,
my species trait.
I say, this soil
which I will become,
formed my first breath;
a constant presence in my life.
I hold steady to a rotating body
as the wells of the ocean
splash and spill,
fulfilling my feeling of being,
waiting for what I am owed.
I am this world.
As much as others think
it was made for them,
it needs neither of us.
Perhaps,
I am only a temporary inhabitant,
meant to spend 70 years spinning;
trudging through give and take,
turning in a milky galaxy,
ignoring what’s on my plate,
forced to question myself
as more than just an ape.
Or, to keep humanity alive,
I lie to myself and say,
"The sun rises for me,
I’ll go about my day
as if all is summer.”
I am held trembling
in the dry hands of the world,
accountable. 
No more important than a snowflake
falling on the last day of winter.
I am only a lonely creature
born on a rock of circumstance,
clever enough to daydream,
too dumb to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment